Sunday, February 17, 2013

Kids Pick the Funniest Poems


Kids Pick the Funniest Poems
Bruce Lansky
Summary:
 This is a collection of hilarious poetry for children ages 6 years and up. The poets in this collection range from Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein to Anonymous.

Evaluation:
This collection is a must have in every elementary classroom as well as household staple for those with young children. This is a great introduction to poetry because it captures the child's attention, appeals to their sense of humor, and comments on various aspects of their life.  I remember reading this collection when I was in elementary school and laughing my head off. 

A couple of my favorite selections are:

Who, Me?

There is a kid who lives with us 
Who no one's ever seen.
He's the guy who broke our vase
And painted Fluffy green.

He drew the funny pictures
On my brother's bedroom door,
And left those worms to shrivel up
Inside my dresser drawer.
He also took my favorite cookies
From the cookie jar,
And put a tuna sandwich
In the brand new VCR.

In fact, he does most everything
That you might think is bad.
Of course he isn't really real...
Just don't tell Mom and Dad.
                                    Joyce Armor

A Student's Prayer

Now I lay me down to rest,
I pray I pass tomorrow's test.
If I should die before I wake,
That's one less test I'll have to take.

                               Anonymous

Freddie

I don't like doing homework,
I know that it will bore me.
But now I am much happier
'Cause Freddie does it for me!

He greets me at the door each day
When I come home from school.
He just can't wait to read my books-
I think that's pretty cool!

I give him all my homework,
Like history and math.
And when he's done I give him
A nice warm bubble bath!

My grades are so much better now
Which makes my parents glad.
Freddie is the smartest dog
That I have ever had!

                           Phil Bolsta

Book Details
     Reading Level: Ages 6-up
     Hardcover: 115 pages
     Publisher: Meadowbrook; First edition (November 15, 1991)
     Language: English
     ISBN-10: 067174769X
     ISBN-13: 978-0671747695

Visit Life is Better with Books for other Poetry Friday posts!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this anthology. I was not already familiar with it. I am glad to see you joining up with Poetry Friday!

    ReplyDelete