Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I Can Read with My Eyes Shut!

I Can Read with My Eyes Shut!
by
Dr. Seuss

Summary: The Cat in the Hat is back in this book with a smaller sidekick version of himself to show how much fun you can have reading with both eyes open.

Evaluation: This is a fantastic beginning reader! My 4 year old daughter loves it! The rhymes and colorful illustrations keep the reader engaged the whole time. With this book Dr. Seuss makes the wonderful point that while you can read somethings with your eyes closed (through memorization) it is much more fun to read new and exciting things with your eyes opened. The words are for the most part easy and spaced out so it makes it easy for beginning readers to read. My daughter's favorite part is when they make reference to another one of her favorite Dr. Seuss books, Oh the Places You'll Go

The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, 
the more places you'll go.

He incorporates other famous stories of his in here as well which is great for children who have already heard them and can relate them to what they are reading in this book.
This book also encourages the reader to work on their speed which is an important skill for beginning readers to work on. He even says:

And when I keep them open
I can read with much more speed.
You have to be a speedy reader
'cause there's so, so much to read! 

I would highly recommend this book to any beginning reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment